Chrome Remote desktop is a very useful tool for providing help to a student or staff member when you cannot look at their computer directly in person. It allows you to view and control their screen, with their permission, to help them navigate instructions or troubleshoot a problem.
Before you can help someone else through Chrome Remote Desktop, they will first need to install it.
Note: Only the user who is asking for help needs to install Chrome Remote Desktop. If you are providing the help, you do not need to install it.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Installing Chrome Remote Desktop
For Students or Staff Using a Chromebook
Visit the Chrome Remote Desktop page on the web store:
Click the Install button in the upper-right corner of the page.
You can now ask for help using Chrome Remote Desktop. See this support article for more instructions: Requesting Remote Support using Chrome Remote Desktop
For Staff Using a MacBook
Here is a brief video showing how to setup Chrome Remote Desktop, followed by detailed installation instructions.
1. Open Google Chrome and go to https://remotedesktop.google.com/support
2. Close the pop-up in the bottom-right corner, then click the Download button under Get Support:
3. The Chrome Web Store will open in a new window. Click the blue Add to Chrome button, then click Add extension.
4. You will be taken back to the previous window. Wait for the "chromeremotedesktop.dmg" file to download, then click Accept & Install:
5. You'll be asked to allow Chrome Remote Desktop to open the file; click Yes.
6. A new window will open containing the Chrome Remote Desktop Host.pkg installer. Double-click to start this installer.
7. Click Continue, then Install, and enter the password you use to sign in to your laptop. Then click Install Software.
8. After the software is installed, you will be taken back to the previous window. Click Got It.
You can now ask for help using Chrome Remote Desktop. See this support article for more instructions: Requesting Remote Support using Chrome Remote Desktop.